Prison Square Courthouse
400 High Street •
The 1846 Courthouse built on Prison Square is the site of the former jail and place of public executions. It is a one-story Greek Revival style brick building with a basement. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Portsmouth was the county seat for Norfolk, so this courthouse served both Norfolk and Portsmouth. When Portsmouth became a city it was no longer in a county. The courthouse was then divided in half with the right side serving the city of Portsmouth and the left side serving Norfolk county. It remained in use as a courthouse until 1960.